What Is Zopiclone 7.5mg?
Zopiclone 7.5mg is used to treat insomnia. It has a sedating effect and so is marketed as a sleeping pill. It tranquilizes the central nervous system and thus gives a feeling of relaxation. Its prolonged use should be avoided as it is a habit-forming medication. So, one can easily get addicted to it. Withdrawal symptoms may result if one suddenly stops taking this medication after its prolonged or long held consumption. Zopiclone is colloquially known as a Z-drug. Medicines like Zopiclone, Zaleplon, and Zolpidem are commonly known as Z-drugs. They have a similar effect on the brain cells as benzodiazepines but as a matter of fact they are not benzodiazepines (psychiatry drugs).
What are the uses of Zopiclone?
The class of medications that Zopiclone belongs to is known as sedative-hypnotics. It is used to get relief from sleep disturbances. It helps in treating sleeplessness, continual wake-ups at night and also frequent awakenings early in the morning. Avoid taking this medication for more than 7 to 10 consecutive days as using it for an extended period of time could lead to addiction and other fatal consequences.
The Right way of taking this medication?
Take this medication exactly as strictly and duly prescribed by your physician. Never try to take this medication when you know that getting a full night’s sleep is not possible at all. Also don’t try to take it when you need to be mentally and physically active as taking it may impair your judgment and memory lapses can also occur. If you want to eliminate the medication completely from your system you need to wait at least 12 hours after taking this medication.
Keep the starting dose to only 3.75 Mg and must be taken just before bedtime. The recommended adult dose spans from 3.75 mg to 7.5 mg. 5 Mg is the maximum daily dose for seniors and also for those who are suffering from reduced liver or kidney function. This medication should be taken exactly as prescribed and advised by your doctor as it is a habit-forming one.
Store it at room temperature. Protect it from light and moisture. Keep it as inaccessible to small children.
Precautions and Warning:
- It must only be taken before going to bed. You must not take two doses at the same time.
- Don’t worry if you forget to take a dose, just take the next tablet at the usual time.
- There are some patients who may experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking this medicine.
- Stopping taking this medication suddenly without advice from your doctor is not advisable.
- Neither try to change the dose of your medicine yourself. You must consult your doctor.
- This medication is not prescribed during pregnancy. Contact your doctor immediately if you become pregnant while taking this medication.
- Zopiclone is strictly un-recommended for children and adolescents.
- Taking Zopiclone 7.5mg longer than the prescribed time is highly prohibited as you may become dependent and which may lead to withdrawal symptoms in you when you stop.
- As this medication can pass into breast milk, mothers taking Zopiclone should avoid breastfeeding their infants. Such mothers should consult their doctors whether they should continue breast-feeding or not.
- Avoid having alcohol when using Zopiclone, as the combination of both enhances the effects of each other. It may also accelerate the risk of dependence.
- Zopiclone may have swaying effect in older people and they could experience falls at any time and such falls become causes of death in older people.
- Zopiclone overdose may have lethal effect on the heart also.
- Zopiclone-related deaths is on the rise especially when mixed with alcohol or other drugs such as opioids.
Do not take Zopiclone 7.5mg if you:
- Are elderly as it may make you susceptible to various side effects
- Are under 18. You must reveal your age to doctor.
- Are suffering from kidney or liver problems.
- You have any allergy to Zopiclone.
- You have ever been treated for drug/alcohol abuse.
- You are a patient of myasthenia gravis. It is a condition where the muscles get easily tired and become weak.
- You have any breathing problems, especially during sleep.
- Your lungs do not work properly or you have any respiratory problems.
- You have severe liver problems.
Report to your doctor if you develop following side effects from using Zopiclone:
- Restlessness: Patients consuming Zopiclone complains about daytime anxiety or restlessness.
- Stomach discomfort
- Libido disorder
- Disrupted normal speech
- Change in Behavior: Its regular consumption may also lead to suicidal tendencies in patients. They may also feel like harming others. It may also cause agitation or aggression in them.
- Mental Confusion: This medication alters one’s concentration and attention. The risk of confusion gets greater in seniors.
- Reduced alertness: Taking Zopiclone can result into excessive drowsiness and it also decreases one’s mental alertness.
- Memory loss: Amnesia can occur in patients taking this medication.
- Being not fully awake: Sometimes people taking zopiclone may become half-awake or half alert. They may be performing well their day to day tasks but they are usually not fully awake to those tasks.
- Hallucinations – seeing or hearing things that are not real.
- Mood changes such as irritability or aggressiveness.
- Fall in the elderly people.
- Leaves bad taste in mouth: One taking Zopiclone experiences coated tongue with bad breath and a bitter taste in their mouths.
- Loss of co-ordination
- Double vision
- Unusual skin sensations
Withdrawal Symptoms on suddenly stopping taking Zopiclone 7.5mg :
When it becomes habit-forming, withdrawal symptoms those related with substance abuse, have been observed after stopping taking Zopiclone suddenly:
Sleep Problems Such As Rebound Insomnia.